Looking to download our application form or our student catalog? Click here to access the Application Documents Quick Reference page.

How to Enroll at USAeroFlight

Which Path Is Right For Me?

When you visit USAeroFlight for the first time, one of our staff will spend some time with you discussing your aviation goals.

  • What aspect of flying inspires you?
  • Once a pilot, how do you plan to use your new skills?
  • How can we help launch you forward in your aviation journey?

Once you’ve shared your aviation goals and experience, we’ll be ready to provide you with a professional recommendation that addresses the important questions to consider when beginning flight lessons:

  • Should I enroll Part 61 or Part 141 training?
  • Should I pursue a personal or professional pilot’s license?
  • How frequently should I fly to get the most out of my training?

Understanding the Difference Between Part 141 and Part 61

One of the first decisions to consider when becoming a pilot is whether to enroll in a Part 61 or Part 141 flight school.

USAeroFlight offers both FAA-Approved Part 141 and Part 61 training:

  • Part 141 training closely follows a syllabus and lessons plans, incorporates tests and performance evaluations, and is audited by the FAA each year to make sure the program is held to high academic standards. Because of these more strict requirements, you can potentially get your pilot’s license in fewer hours than at a Part 61 school.
  • Part 61 training is the most common type of flight training. You won’t have to worry about  Ideal for student pilots concerned less about building a résumé or finishing quickly and more about having control over their lesson fitting flight lessons into an already busy schedule. Keep in mind, you’ll likely be required to fly more total hours before you’re able to earn your license.

Professional vs. Personal Flight

Setting the Pace For Your Flight Education

Becoming a professional pilot requires more extensive training than becoming licensed to fly for personal business or recreation.

Whatever your aviation goals are, we look forward to serving you!

Section A (for students pursuing flying for fun or personal business):

Students seeking training toward Private Pilot Certification and/or the Instrument Rating for personal or recreational aviation goals other than a professional pilot career must do the following:

1. Participate in an interview conducted by USAeroFlight faculty.

2. Pass a TSA Citizen Verification check (provided by USAeroFlight LLC at no cost).

3. Obtain, from a Federal Aviation Administration Aviation Medical Examiner (FAA AME), at least a current a FAA Third Class medical for Private Pilot training, a Second Class medical for Commercial Pilot training, and a First Class medical for Airline Transport Training.

An initial First Class Medical is recommended in each case to insure the student is capable of obtaining the first class medical in the future when training and career options require it. Find an examiner near you:  https://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/.

If not a holder of any pilot certificate, the student may obtain a student pilot certificate from a Federal Aviation Administration Aviation Medical Examiner (FAA AME) when obtaining the required medical certificate (https://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/).

5. Be sufficiently physically and mentally fit for the rigors of the school and work environment (as advised in the handbook and demonstrated by obtaining a FAA medical certificate).

6. Meet the following age requirements of each certification by the time training is completed and FAA testing begins:

To be eligible for a student pilot certificate, an applicant must be at least 16 years of age;  To be eligible for a private pilot certificate, a person must be at least 17 years of age; Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language fluently (training itself may begin at 16 years of age while testing for certification requires a person must be at least 17 years of age).

9. Read and sign the Information and Policy Manual (Discovery Flights, Flight Reviews, and Instrument Proficiency Checks, etc. are exempt from this requirement).

How to Apply Under Section A

Applying with USAeroFlight is easier than you think.

Prospective students seeking admission to USAeroFlight’s Private Pilot Certification Course or Instrument Rating Course or any certification course allowed under 14 CFR Part 61 must contact the flight school manager or chief pilot and demonstrate the eligibility requirements of paragraph “A” above.


Section B (for students pursuing a professional pilot career):

Students seeking pilot training for certificates and ratings leading to a professional piloting career and desiring to enroll in USAeroFlight’s Part 141 Commercial Pilot Certification Course or Part 61 Flight Instructor Certification must do the following:

1. Meet all admission requirements in paragraph “A,” above, and

2. Hold a valid Private Pilot Certificate; and

3. Complete an Application for Admission (links below), including character references and a signed student agreement; and

4. Provide evidence of completion of a General Education Diploma (GED), high school diploma (verified by a copy of an official transcript including graduation date and diploma type), or certification of completed home schooling at the secondary school level (Certificates of Attendance or Special Education Diplomas are not recognized for admission purposes). Students not having completed these requirements may provide evidence of current enrollment in and successful progress toward these requirements in lieu of completion documents; or

5. Provide copies of transcripts to verify at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA (C) at a former high school, college, or university. Applicants who have successfully completed (C or better) a minimum of 30 semester or 45 quarter hours at the degree level may submit official transcripts from all previously attended colleges accredited by an accepted accrediting agency in lieu of a GED or high school diploma, and

6. Demonstrate English language and math proficiency by providing evidence of at least one of the following minimum test scores, college transcripts, or vocational training and work experience:

a. SAT: Verbal 430, Math 400; or
b. ACT: Reading 15, English 17, Math 17; or
c. COMPASS: Reading 70, Writing 38, Pre-algebra 37; or
d. ASSET: Reading 38, Writing 38, and Numerical skills 38; or
e. CPE: Reading 70, English 70, and Math 70; or
f. Equivalent military experience, academic testing, training records, or transcripts indicating at least a “C” average or acceptable performance in related work experience (evaluated on an individual basis); or
g. Equivalent civilian work experience records indicating satisfactory job performance or employer sponsored training records accompanied by employer documentation indicating at least a “C” (70%) average training performance.
Information for taking the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or the American College Testing (ACT) program can be obtained from high school counselors; CEEB, P.O. Box 592, Princeton, NJ 08541, 609-771-7600, www.collegeboard.com, for SAT information; or ACT Records P.O. Box 451, Iowa City, IA 52243, 319-337-1320, www.act.org, for ACT information; and

7. Provide copies of documentation of US Citizenship or Lawful Presence:
a. U.S. Citizens: Valid South Carolina (or most other states) driver’s license or permit, valid state issued photo identification card, U.S. birth certificate & photo ID, U.S. passport, military identification, or certificate of naturalization.
b. Non-citizens: Permanent residents & International students should contact a USAeroFlight representative for more information.

8. Receive an official acceptance letter from USAeroFlight. Completion of admission procedure does not guarantee acceptance. An acceptance letter does not guarantee a specific start date.

How to Apply Under Section B

Applying with USAeroFlight is easier than you think.

Prospective students seeking admission to USAeroFlight’s Part 141 Commercial Pilot Certification Course and/or Part 61 Flight Instructor Certification must:

1. Hold a valid FAA Private Pilot Certificate.
2. Obtain an Application for Admission and Student Handbook & Catalog.
3. Read the current Student Handbook and completely fill out the Student Contract & Enrollment Agreement and additional agreements at the end of the Student Handbook & Catalog. The Student Contract & Enrollment Agreement must be signed in the presence of a witness or USAeroFlight Faculty or Staff. The additional agreements need only be filled out, signed and dated.
4. Completely fill out the Application for Admission and meet the eligibility requirements of paragraph B above.
5. Return the entire Application for Admission and signed, witnessed Student Contract & Enrollment Agreement and additional signed agreements located at the end of the handbook.

Please contact the Flight School Manager or Chief Pilot at 864-987-9330 for enrollment questions. Thank you!