(864) 987-9330 [email protected]

Becoming a Pilot with USAeroFlight

Professional vs. Private Pilot: Which Path Is Right For Me?

When you visit USAeroFlight for the first time, one of our staff will spend some time with you discussing your aviation goals.
  • What aspect of flying inspires you?
  • Once a pilot, how do you plan to use your new skills?
  • How can we help launch you forward in your aviation journey?
Once you’ve shared your aviation goals and experience, we’ll be ready to provide you with a professional recommendation that addresses the important questions to consider when beginning flight lessons:
  • Should I enroll Part 61 or Part 141 training?
  • Should I pursue a personal or professional pilot’s license?
  • How frequently should I fly to get the most out of my training?

Professional vs. Personal Flight Training

Private Pilot
Professional Pilot
The Private Pilot program allows individuals to gain the necessary knowledge and flight experience to use their certification for pleasure or business travel.
Courses offered in our Professional Pilot programs allow students to build upon their existing aviation experience to launch a career in aviation.

Understanding the Difference Between Part 141 and Part 61 Training

One of the first decisions to consider when becoming a pilot is whether to enroll in a Part 61 or Part 141 training course:


PART 141 Training
This accelerated training closely follows a syllabus and lessons plans, incorporates tests and performance evaluations, and is audited by the FAA each year to make sure the program is held to high academic standards. Because of these more strict requirements, you can potentially get your pilot’s license in fewer hours than at a Part 61 course .


PART 61 Training
This is the most common type of flight training, and offers greater flexibility for the student’s schedule. PART 61 Training is ideal for student pilots concerned less about building a résumé or finishing quickly and more about having control over fitting flight lessons into an already busy schedule. You’ll likely be required to fly more total hours before you’re able to earn your license.
USAeroFlight offers both FAA-Approved Part 141 and Part 61 training.